Here comes the fourth trimester! After three blissful trimesters of pregnancy, it’s time to give some extra care to this one. The fourth trimester is the postpartum period. But trust me, this doesn’t just get over after 12 weeks.
Postpartum is forever! We all work hard to make sure we are eating right, exercising, staying happy but as soon as we deliver the whole world revolves around a beautiful baby you created.
A postpartum plan is as important as having a birth plan.
How to take care of yourself while taking care of a new baby?
The best way is to plan ahead. It’s a great idea to enrol yourself in a program that can guide you on how your body is changing post-delivery and how to cope with daily stressors and work towards a stronger self.
Here are some tips :
- Set aside 15 min for yourself each day.
- Perform some week appropriate light exercises instead of rushing to the gym and starting a workout. Talk to a postnatal fitness specialist.
- Work on your posture while you are feeding, lifting the baby or performing your day to day activities.
- Take help when offered.
- It’s ok to take a break and sneak out for some self-care such as going for a spa or massage.
- See a pelvic floor physical therapist if you are experiencing any pelvic floor symptoms.
- Most importantly embrace your body as you embrace motherhood.
Happy mother = Happy baby